5 things I’m grateful for today

• being 22 months sober
• being 4 almost 5 years clean of self harm
• getting to volunteer at a safe haven I’ve been partnered up with for nearly a year
• having therapy with a workshop coordinator
• making plans with my partner this weekend to do something new

4 Likes

Amazing!! Congratulations on all of your achievements!! How did you do it?

1 Like

Sobriety isn’t something I struggle with because I never had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, the decision was made after my assailant used it as a means to continuously assault me. From how much he forced me to drink, it caused health complications while worsening others.

When it comes to self harm, receiving professional services such as therapy and regularly attending support workshops keeps me grounded. Having health coping mechanisms such as drawing, journaling or doing something creative helps with emotional regulation. Thoughts of self harm is something I occasionally with to this day but having a support network keeps me from acting impulsively which I’m grateful for.

The safe haven I volunteer for is one of 10 I regularly do work for and pursued post escaping an abusive relationship with my assailant. Took some time to create a schedule that works for me but after finally establishing something, I show up for myself and others at the safe haven who need me. Community aid is something I remain passionate about and it’s saved my life. I can’t recommend it enough to anyone who might be seeking support and something fulfilling.

Regarding therapy and plans with my partner, I’m very dedicated to my recovery so I’ll do almost anything within my means to ensure I’m getting the support I need. My partner plays a part in the support network I’m cultivating for myself, but being intentional about them both helps in so many more ways than I can detail.

Edit: thank you as well for the congratulatory wishes as well! I appreciate this so much. I hope others will be able to find encouragement in pursuing their journeys to recovery from me sharing the hardships I experienced and milestones made as a result of my determination🎉