Alcohol

What does tapering off alcohol mean ?
I drink 1 bottle of wine 4-5 times a week. How should I taper off ?

4 Likes

That’s interesting

1 Like

Tapering off alcoholic beverages have drawbacks.

1 Like

Drawbacks vary depending on the individual

2 Likes
  1. become informed I.e. Alcohol Withdrawal - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

2. involve a professional.

3( goto AA meetings and listen and perhaps share your dilemma. But remember; there is no “one size fits all” solution…so don’t skip these other steps.

1. don’t stop advocating for yourself! It’s your life !!
5 Likes

I'm not a doctor but I am an alcoholic and I never had ANY luck "tapering" off. depending on how much you drink alcohol withdrawal can be deadly for some which is why a detox program is probably the best idea.

2 Likes

However I was definitely drinking a lot more than what you say. But... it wasn't always that way for me, itz a progressive disease and I was once drinking the amount you say you are. It might be best to just give it up

1 Like

Thank you , I’m on day 2 no wine… I’m not feeling any withdrawals yet they come in day 3 I get a headache and that’s when I usually give in. I have a doctors appointment coming soon. Thank you

4 Likes

Took me twelve years and finally almost dying and going to the ER to successfully “taper.” Basically, what I’m saying is you can’t do it.

1 Like

No such thing for me.

1 Like

I’ve heard some people have success this way. It did not work for me.

I have a disease called addiction. And I can’t taper off addiction anymore than a cancer patient could taper off cancer. The word taper, to me, implies willpower. And I’m powerless.

For me I had to treat my addiction. I do that with a 12 step program. Every day. And it has done for me what I could not do alone.

3 Likes

Not everyone has the same recovery journey as you. I’m sitting here right now at three days sober after successfully tapering off. It doesn’t work for everyone, & it’s not the best way to go. But it is possible.

3 Likes

Reading The Naked Mind really helped me taper off

2 Likes

Cold turkey. Bite the bullet. Gonna be rough first week or so, yet works the best. At least how I feel. I could never taper anything. One would always lead to to many

1 Like

You gotta be careful my dad was a really bad alcoholic (not sayin you are) but I watched him try to kick it himself and it became very dangerous he shook a lot and ended up having seizures so he went to a medical detox but his case was very bad I would talk to a doctor if able too. I wish you the best of luck you are not alone reach out anytime

1 Like

Good luck! I can say if you feel like you are drinking too much then you probably are... please reach out if you need anything you can DM me :grin:

1 Like

Does 4 to 5 bottles of wine do the trick.? If not, drink more until it becomes a problem.

Makes sense thank you

Thank you Craig

Thank you I’m on day 3 now as well and although I feel okay I’m afraid of withdrawals and then relapsing because of it but congrats keep going !!!

1 Like