All my friends in Phoenix are drinkers. This is about

All my friends in Phoenix are drinkers. This is about to get super lonely, but I guess that could be a good thing?

17 Likes

Do you have a dog? I’m in Flagstaff and most of my friends drink so I spend a lot of time w/my dog at night and daytime outdoors running, hiking, biking etc..so I can still spend time w/my friends and just skip the drinking/partying part at night. I’m happy at home w/my doggo:)
And I feel soooo much better this way!

5 Likes

Aw ! That sounds wonderful, I don't have a dog though, pet rent is insane and my place is also really not big enough. I have a boa constrictor :snake::sweat_smile: pretty useless on walks though hahaha

2 Likes

Get some sober friends!

2 Likes

Idk how :sob:

1 Like

A boa! Ride her/him around your shoulders for walks! That would be fun to do at outside events! You’d make new friends easy that way! And ones who like snakes! :snake::hugs:

2 Likes

Also I met some sober friends at AA !
Are you working the program? If not, give it a go! The “Everything AA” app is a pretty good tool to explore. Once you get yourself around other sober people your social life will evolve. :hugs:

3 Likes

Paula’s right. Most of my friends I associate with on the regular are fellows in The Program. Like minded individuals ya know

3 Likes

Meetings are a good way to find sober friends :pray:

3 Likes

It's difficult to enjoy meetings when I'm an atheist :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

You can be an atheist in the program. The "power greater than yourself" can be the program or the people you meet therein. Folks that have a better handle on things than active users are a source of wisdom and/or checks and balances. It's simply admitting that you want a change in your life and talking to those that have done so before you. I am not a fan of any organized religion and I still have very religious friends in the program. I hope you can find a separation of program and religion.

6 Likes

Just go for the friendships … matter of fact show up like 5min before it ends :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah, I'm an atheist too, so I get you. It is possible to find friends that support you in not drinking. Really though if all your friends did was drink they are probably not healthy themselves. Try to find a hobby if you can.

Really though if you're in Phoenix that city is large enough for you to find an atheist/agnostic a.a. meeting.

https://aaphoenix.org/meetings/we-agnostics-6/

4 Likes

I'm an atheist and I'm in AA. I even started an atheist AA meeting.

5 Likes

There’s some really good meetings in the Phoenix area. Out here in Tucson I found a group a little over a year and a half ago of people that we go out to dinner together every Saturday night. A few of us rode motorcycles up to flagstaff last year for the flagstaff round up. I still have a few friends that drink but we find other things to do that don’t involve alcohol. The people I went to bars with I found out were just really drinking buddies.

Flagstaffroundup.org is the website if you’re interested in checking out a fun alcohol feree weekend at the end of May.

3 Likes

G.O.D. = Group Of Drunks :grin:

1 Like

There’s plenty of us sober folks in the valley. You just gotta come find us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That's easier said than done! Where did you find sober friendships?

In AA. I’ve found my best friends in AA. Just start going to the same meetings all the time.

2 Likes

I'm gonna look into some agnostic ones and try to make them a habit. It's nerve wracking, taking that step.