Ask for mercy, not justice

We all have difficulty admitting that we caused harm for others... We cut away our justifications and our ideas of being a victim.

Our lives are progressing nicely. Things are going good, and each year in recovery brings more material and spiritual gifts. We may have a little money in the bank, a new car, or a committed relationship. We have a little self-confidence, and our faith in a Higher Power is growing.

Then, something happens. Someone breaks into our new car and steals the stereo, or the person we're in the relationship with becomes unfaithful. Right away, we feel victimized. "Where's the justice?" we wail. But if we take a look back on our own behavior, we may find that we've been guilty of what's just been done to us. We realize we wouldn't really want justice--not for ourselves, and not for others. What we want is mercy.

We thank a loving God for the compassion we've been shown, and we take the time to appreciate all the precious gifts that recovery brings.

Just for Today: I will pray for mercy, not justice. I am grateful for the compassion I've been shown, and will offer mercy to others.

2 Likes

Beautiful message :heart:

1 Like

At times mercy is the last thing we want for those who did us dirty. We WANT justice at times street side justice.

It's moments like that when we must turn the table and put ourselves in their position. To look back and see how many times we did dirty to others and mercy prevailed.

1 Like

“Be merciful to those who doubt; ”
Jude 1:22

Mercy, that's a pretty big pill for me to swallow. Someone I loved and trusted assaulted me repeatedly (551 times) in which I chose to drink to hide the truth. I'm a good person that had a horrific life. Someday mercy may come to me but admittedly I don't have it yet. It's a good conversation for God and I to have.

1 Like

That's when Street side justice trumps mercy

I'll be honest with you.