Did you lose friends when you stopped drinking alcohol or

I stopped seeing a few friends. It is not easy to have to not see certain people

1 Like

When in active addiction it seems horrific to lose ā€œfriendsā€ but in active recovery itā€™s a blessing in disguise. You truly realize with a clear head who you can and canā€™t count on and who actually has your best interest at heart. It was worth the losses in the long run, a lot of weight lifted off my shoulders, in my experience of course. I read somewhere ā€œI wonder how much that weighs me down isnā€™t mine to carryā€ and I loved it because I felt this could apply in many aspects of anyones life.

5 Likes

And so much negativity

2 Likes

I lost most of my friends while drinking so now they are just glad to have me back.

1 Like

It depends on who you call friends

1 Like

Yep, almost all of them. I found without alcohol, we really didnā€™t have a lot in common and couldnā€™t hold an engaging Conversation

3 Likes

I did it was over 28 years ago her name was Angie but she never used or drank alcohol. I told her I was going to na and AA meetings and told her boyfriend and she freaked out and I never heard from her again.... Idiotic she was but I do understand.

1 Like

cool

1 Like

Good to hear

I understand

You sure did, made a good decision :100:

That's true

I'm still friends with people I used to get high with.

1 Like

I lost just about all my friends.. but Iā€™ve realized the people I was surrounding myself with were also people who would never call me out on my destructive ways because they were doing the same things. It hurts, & have found myself grieving those connections, but I really do believe itā€™s for the best.

1 Like

My ex best friend from high school thought I was nuts so my mom told me I have better taste in knowing people.

1 Like

It didn't cost me as many as using did.

1 Like

To be honest I did lose friends. Some I lost because of my chaos when I was using, others just dropped me because I decided not to use anymore. I struggle with it a lot. I would say for my advice to you that Iā€™m trying to do is work on yourself and be comfortable with yourself and good people will come to you in the end. Iā€™m still early in my recovery and not gonna lie I feel pretty alone, but as long Iā€™m good to myself things will change. If you have friends bail on you because you wanna be sober then they ainā€™t your friends.

2 Likes

If you did lose friends because you quit alcohol and drugs, then they weren't your friends in the first place. Don't worry, you will soon have better friends.

1 Like

I have had a bff forever. We are so similar and have been through he*l and back. She was the one that planted the seed of an addictions therapist before I ever hit rock bottom. She also recommended meditation back when I had a colicky baby. Iā€™m so grateful to her. Acceptance has been key.
As everyone else said, the others werenā€™t friends. They donā€™t want you to change-that would mean they have to change. I agree about the negativity-I canā€™t be around the ā€œstinking thinking,ā€ the chaos, the drama, the poor decision makingā€¦and thatā€™s when they arenā€™t drinking!

1 Like

I understand šŸ„²