Did you lose friends when you stopped drinking alcohol or

I did, well it really just shifted, you have a lot of decisions to make when you get sober. And who you keep in your life and where you place them is definitely one of them. Good luck to you! :black_heart:

2 Likes

Yes I did as well. But the friends I have now are the best I have ever had. There is a bond in recovery that is stronger than almost all others. Stick around a while and you will see how much better it can get.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say I lost friendsā€¦ more that it became clear who my real friends were. I told my friends who drink that I needed a year of sobriety under my belt before felt comfortable being around them again. The few life long friends that cared about me and my success, accepted the my request and waited for me to reach out to them. Now they are my biggest supporters. In that first year I also made some new sober friendships that I expect to be life long. I will say that I intentionally separate my sober friends from the ā€œnormiesā€, but thatā€™s just what works for me.

2 Likes

Yes one. Drinking buddy. Helped me out when I got bad, once I got sober and had a little time, he liked me better when I was drunk :rofl:

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say I lost friends as much as I have lost touch with friends through sobriety. Some people just canā€™t hangout without a drink or four, and thatā€™s old news. Now, I live like a hermit. I donā€™t go out because thereā€™s nothing to do (except for catching covid), and I canā€™t relate to anyone anymore. Alcohol was a common ground; a social catalyst. I donā€™t have sober friends, most sober people I meet are about fellowship, and Iā€™m not about that Jesus life.

1 Like

Awww, nice

I lost my wife. My friends understood and were supportive. Ex-wife wanted to keep drinking but I married someone younger than me. Sheā€™s in her 20s and I am 36. In my 20s I justified my drinking by being part of the cocktail chatter along with a lot of people in that age group. I lost 55 pounds in 3 months and my spiritual journey is strong. Life is good and I am humble.

1 Like

Yes because you are growing. I realized all the funny things they would say were actually really toxic and self sabotaging or self deprecating

1 Like

Nice