Does moderation work?

I’m trying to figure out how to recover from a relapse and the outcomes over the weekend. #not easy. For me relapse means more drinking than is necessary or planned. I am saying moderation.

I realize, respect and understand many people are unable engage in this type of lifestyle. They truly need to be 100% sober.

I am simply asking and trying to navigate this world.

3 Likes

As an alcoholic, there is no moderation for me. Sobriety is the best gift!! No more poison in my body!

2 Likes

So the A.A. program discusses this in the Big Book. It suggests that if we’re not sure we should try some controlled drinking.

I tried and found out that if I’m controlling it I’m not enjoying it, and if I’m enjoying it I’m not controlling it. This is the facts for me if I’m being honest with myself.

Once I take the first drink, I can’t control the amount I take. So moderation doesn’t work for me.

4 Likes

Moderation doesn't exist to me. From the first sip I'm already controlled by alcohol. But I know people who can drink lightly or moderately they don't truly have an active addiction tho. I would say be VERY careful with that and good luck :hugs:

3 Likes

Nope. If you're here, nope, moderation doesn't exist.

3 Likes

I couldn’t “moderate” my drinking at all. Every time I tried I would end up drinking more than before. BUT if you can do it, more power to you brother! God Bless

3 Likes

What Matt said… if I’m controlling my drinking I’m not having fun and if I’m enjoying drinking I’m not controlling it. … that’s just me

3 Likes

If ppl can moderate, then they most likely won’t be addicts to begin with. We addicts are here because we could not moderate so moderation is a no go for me…

2 Likes

No it doesn't really work. Also it's really not worth all the mental overhead. When you "moderate," you have to make a ton of decisions all the time about whether to take that next drink and you might not be as successful as you're hoping. Sobriety is a single decision that you make once and then stick to. It's much easier to do in terms of mental load.

3 Likes

Morning and thanks for the important perspectives. I’m learning as I go. I also know it’s my own decisions and not those in my life. But I do believe the people around me play a factor or role like my significant other etc.