Drinking & Bipolar Don’t Mix

So apparently avoiding booze can be the difference between living a stable life or not.

I’m in an outpatient therapy program and I’m expected to maintain sobriety. Drank this weekend though :roll_eyes: I’m trying not to beat myself up about it and just get back to not drinking.

How do you get sober when you live in a house of binge drinkers and functional alcoholics?

4 Likes

Hmmm. My guess is, you don’t.

1 Like

Well.. :thinking:
In a way that’s kind of like asking how do I stay dry while standing in a pool of water or how do I keep from getting hit buy a car while walking into traffic?

What would you tell someone that presents this dilemma to you?

Perhaps it’s time for a change. Perhaps your trying to do the opposite of what they are doing. Reality is.. “if nothing changes then nothing change’s.”
I truly hope you decide when that change will occur :hugs:

2 Likes

Crys G, welcome to Loosid! One thing I did in outpatient therapy is I got real honest with myself and the group/clinicians. I was determined to find out why my life had fallen part. I went to tons of meetings from AA to life ring to recovery dharma. I built up a support group. I shared with the different groups. After meetings I’d chat with some of the people in that group.
Now I’m able to meditate, pray, and I continue to go to meetings, AA, and help others who to struggle but have the desire to stop drinking. I had to train my brain to think differently. I don’t hangout with old friends who drink or act out. I go to church and a Bible study as well as a life group through church. I read and watch documentaries on addiction/alcoholism. There’s a ton of information out there. I believe that AA is the gateway to a blissfully beautiful life.