Evenings are the hardest situation for me to avoid drinking

Evenings are the hardest situation for me to avoid drinking. My wife and I have a 20 year ritual of kicking back a few drinks while watching TV. More often now it’s “more than a few”. I’m trying to break the habit, any tips?

My wife still likes her drinks even though I know I need to stop.

Hi Andrew, I like to drink non-alcoholic beverages to unwind after a long day. There are so many awesome options depending on what you’re looking for, I really like Curious Elixers (these are pre-made mocktails), Athletics Brewery is a great NA brewery if you’re open to NA beers, I like to use Seedlip in my homemade mocktails. Another option is to make a habit change. Maybe trying going for a walk at the midpoint of watching tv in the evening, this will break up the evening into more approachable chunks (ie just need to stay sober for the next hour, then go for a walk, then need to stay sober for the next hour). Eventually it gets easier and the mind games aren’t necessary, but the beginning is definitely a struggle!

2 Likes

Thank you! I love the idea of breaking it up so that the goals are in smaller pieces. I appreciate it.

1 Like