Hey everyone! 😀

Hey everyone! :grinning: any tips on combatting that "just one drink" mindset?
I am capable of going out and just having 1-2, but I'm to the point where even that is toxic to me.
I give in to influences around me a lot, and have not one person in my life who is sober. The problem is, the people in my life are mainly "responsible drinkers", so they don't understand why I don't want to do it at all.
I appreciate everyone's words within this groups it's inspiring me! :white_heart:

8 Likes

Anytime a thought like that comes up, I immediately pray and write the situation down in my journal. Helps me to lay it all out and I can see where my mind was at the time. I cam also look back and see all the times I resisted and won over the temptation. If you have a sponsor or an accountability partner you can always reach out to them as well.

3 Likes

Way to vulnerable and reach out. That speaks volumes to how strong you are.

3 Likes

Play the tape… if you have one, then another… where does that lead you? You may be able to get away with it once, or twice, but this is a progressive thing. You will be right back where you were when you made the choice to put the bottle down for good. My sponsor told be on day three “don’t pick up, don’t be a d!ck” words I have lived by since!

4 Likes

My first year in recovery, I put myself under house arrest. I was only allowed to go to work, meetings, and then home. I had to do that because I had no defense against the first drink and always picked up no matter what I tried. After focusing on me and my sobriety for 1 year, I had a foundation that then allowed me to go anywhere with anyone and not drink.
Sobriety must come first. New friends with come into your life that will be able to support you.

4 Likes

People, places, and things can lead you to alcohol and to pick up a drink. If you want sobriety and a good healthy life, you must do everything in your power not to pick up that first drink. If you're an alcoholic you will not stop at one or two drinks. At some point it will escalate. Alcoholism is a two-part disease: a physical addiction plus a mental obsession. As alcoholics we have not yet met a person yet who is an alcoholic and can also drink responsibly. You must go to meetings and reach out and talk to people, on a daily basis, if necessary. If you cannot go out with your friends and not drink then you should not be going out with them. Sobriety must come before everything else if you want to get sober and remain sober. Some advice from someone who had 2?tough relapses and I'm now 10 1/2 years sober.

3 Likes

I like the quote: One is too many and a thousand is not enough…
Once I get a buzz, the drinks start making all my decisions. That’s the critical point. It’s so much easier not to drink at all. I tell people “I suck at moderation,” and I order a club soda w lime. Most of the time people are cool w that and forget all about whether I’m drinking. It also helps me to remember I don’t owe anyone an explanation. Stay strong. Sobriety is a super power!

5 Likes

It’s never just one and it’s still not fun

1 Like

Their "understanding of why you dont want to do it at all" means nothing. Who cares? Do what's best for YOU, let them do what's best for themselves. You don't need to please them.

I truly don't understand this mentality. When I was drinking, I never cared if someone else was drinking or not.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone! Awesome words and a great start to my day! I appreciate you all so much!

1 Like

I know that if I get away with one it will feel good to be buzzed and I’ll want more. I can’t hold back . Than I will ramp it up . Next thing you know My life is a mess. I look at alcohol like it’s literally going to kill me if I accidentally ingested it. I told all my friends that I’m an alcoholic when I made the decision to quit and if they didn’t understand I just have one less friend. This is as serious as a heart attack. Congrats on making the decision to be in control.

3 Likes

Follow the thought to the end. "I can have one drink." Then what comes next? Chase the thought to the end, make yourself be reminded of what one drink leads to.

1 Like

The biggest thing for me was understanding the voice saying “just one” was the addiction talking. It wants to control you to feed itself. It’s not your rational brain saying that.

2 Likes

I had to divorce, move and start over to get sober. Sometimes there are things (and people) you just need to avoid. If they don’t understand, avoid them, even your BFF.

2 Likes

Well did you ever hear of change People places and things, hang with the winners go to a meeting make new friends, it’s never the amount it’s what it does to us mentally physically and spiritually

The thing about controlled drinking is this: if u can control it on occasion and not on others YOU’RE NOT able to control you’re drinking. It’s much more enjoyable to go out and refrain from drinking as opposed to dealing with the excruciating obsession that begins after the first drink. When the obsession starts you aren’t able to focus on anything other than the urges and there goes ur night.

2 Likes

When following a diet or lifestyle change I firmly believe it’s easier to adhere 100 percent than 99 percent

2 Likes

My sponsor told me that nothing changes if nothing changes. If you don’t do something to change the situation like getting sober friends for example, you’ll struggle every time you go out. I go out a lot and not drink and it sucks I’m kinda over it. Another thing, if you simply can’t just have one drink, or be able to have one or two but feel bad the rest of the night, it probably means that it isn’t just something you can grow out of. Now stranger things have happened, but it’s better safe than sorry in my opinion. Lastly, if you were a normal drinker, controlled drinking wouldn’t be hard. However, only you know who you are and what is best for you.

1 Like

Listen to David w he's right... Write it all down and talk to your sponsor ok? God bless. Linda

"Just one" can't be an option. When it is, then "just one more" will come next and so forth...