How do you say no?

It’s so hard when you tell your family members that you are trying to become sober but you are also work with some of them and when they order a drink they also bring you one after communicating to them that you’re genuinely trying to quit.. while also having a free tab at the place you work ( the bar) so when you think you could have just one you end up spiralling until you get that buzz :frowning: sometimes feel like the relapse never ends…

2 Likes

Ugh ugh I'd say you might need to remove yourself from the situation until they realize what you need and that you're serious....stay busy with work and try to find other non alc beverages to keep your hands busy?

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. Your family isn’t respecting you or your decision to want to live a sober healthy life. The ones you don’t work with you might need to cut off for awhile and the ones you do work with that are not supportive and are buying you drinks you could maybe get a schedule change so you don’t have that temptation of drinking what they order for you? I know it’s hard when it comes to family…but you need to do what’s best for you! And sometimes what’s best for us is cutting people out for awhile. Or if none of that works you have to say no thank you, walk alway for a minute, breath/find something else to distract and give it about 20 mins and that craving normally goes away or temptation. That’s what I was taught and it works for me. Recovery is a hard long road. But you got this! Ups and downs and the in-between!

Ya gotta bounce from that environment

1 Like

I was also just reading that wearing a thick rubber band around your wrist and snapping it on your wrist every time you have a craving. It jars your brain out of cycle of thoughts of using and is suppose to bring your attention back to the activity around you which is suppose to help manage your cravings. :slightly_smiling_face: just thought I’d share!

So you work in the Lion's Den, is that the only job in town, I understand change is hard in your case you're working right there with your Demons, people, places and things and as you know they'll get you drunk before you can get yourself sober, plus the atmosphere doesn't help either. Unfortunately it might mean you finding another job or having a strong conversation with your family, friends and co-workers and really putting your foot down even if you have to HOLLER at everyone.

E

1 Like

My family is a bunch of functioning alcoholics, so much so that it feels less like a family these days and more like a drinking club. I choose to remove myself from most of these situations and just have to deal with the loss of family over time. True family doesn’t pressure or look down on you for being sober

1 Like

Dude, your life is at stake. If people can't understand that, that's their problem.

Worrying about others' opinions of your sobriety is people pleasing self sabotage.

Rise Above.

Drinkers (and drunks) always want company. A free bar is risky. If you can't get a diff job now then make a plan. Work towards it. You got this.

1 Like

Just “no.” No explanation. The more you explain, the more they dig in with their reasoning. It’s as poisonous as the drink.

2 Likes

I’ve always started by telling them I’m doing a challenge like 30 days sober. If they’re really your family they’ll understand.

1 Like