I always say I won’t drink because I feel awful

I always say I won’t drink because I feel awful but I still drink and regret the feelings the next day. I don’t like this pattern. Any tips ?

3 Likes

Nothing will change until you WANT it. Does matter about classes or what people pound into your head, it all begins and ends with YOU.

3 Likes

Seek support groups like AA and share. You’ll realize you’re not alone :pray:t3:

1 Like

That’s what we call a chronic relapser my friend. Only way to handle it is to break the cycle and do something different. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Go to rehab, hit a meeting, but if nothing else… don’t pick up that first one!

3 Likes

So true for me. It’s the first one and breaking the pattern.

1 Like

…instead of putting that sh-t / poison into your system…do something different…like, read up on ethanol and how insane it is that anyone puts this sh-t into our systems to begin with.

And, or go for what others have suggested above.

Also, take it one day or second at a time…if that is what it takes.

Kudos for realizing that this stuff is nasty and makes life nasty…not better!

2 Likes

Choose to not drink because it has no benefit for you. See it as the addictive poison that it is, rather than thinking you'll enjoy it and hoping not to hurt to bad from it. My 2 cents

2 Likes

It all begins with you and what you want. I been through that same feeling so many times I lost track. Mid to late day I’d feel better and totally forget or say “that wasn’t to bad I can do it again”. Then before I knew it I was just always intoxicated on some level so I wouldn’t feel that.

But you gotta want it. My first handful of times through different forms of treatment I’d cheat the system. “Oh I’ll just drink less when I’m in” or “I’ll just make sure I’m sober for class or meetings”. That got me nowhere, it wasn’t until I was fully ready and completely gave myself to the program and was open to any and all advice that I got the strength to stay sober.

2 Likes

I had to replace destructive behavior patterns with constructive behavior patterns; activities I was completely willing to be totally committed to doing for the long haul. The Time/hours I spent each day in active addiction was only going downhill. Those hours of each day would come around everyday for the rest of my life. So, I had to choose activities I was committed to doing during the hours I had previously engaged in my addictive activity. I also chose to spend time in activities with people that would hold me accountable.

2 Likes

Ever time I denied myself the drink or drug I got stronger :muscle:t3:
Now when I think of using I tell myself “these thoughts are valid because I am an addict” and then I walk away from them!! Going to meetings help because I can talk about it with like minded people who understand. Thanks for sharing it takes courage to admit the problem and ask for help :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Love this!

1 Like

Good morning Jeevan
This is my experience only.

I felt the same way you do now. I had to seek outside help what work for me as I went to an alcoholics anonymous meeting.

I got a sponsor I started working the steps. I started to get a commitment at the meeting. I made that meeting my Homegroup. Then I started helping the Newcomers.

Then slowly, but surely the obsession to drink was lifted. and I started to recover one day at a time. 

I'm there with you, just starting. Just reaching out for a new life. We are in this together. I spend much time on recovery. You are worth your recovery. We are going to get this. This group is a lifesaver. Hang on!

Thank you, Joshua.
I read what you shared and yes, agree.

If people read up and learned that this is truly placing poison into one’s system…then I am fairly certain that many would not pick up the next drink, put this poison into respective systems again.

I also acknowledge that many realities, aspects are easier relayed than done.

If you have the brain of an addict, it can feel so effing tough.
Especially in the beginning, of course!

Advertisers want us to think that this literal poison will ease the trials and stressors of this life…
When the exact opposite of course, is the truth.

Alcohol steals our time, our health, our money.

Whatever is good in this life, alcohol is determined to rob us of it!

Oh. It is sad.
We are born as little innocents and these dumb a$$ advertisers and corporations want our money and our lives.

We GET to own our time, resources, our physical selves…and, or have agency over such.

Let’s not fall for the many lies…and dupe ourselves that this poison is anything but just that…
Expensive poison!

Thanks y’all…for reading my uh, rant?!
P E A C E.
:peace_symbol::heart_decoration:

1 Like

Great points, suggestions-Jen.

In the beginning, this time around…
I made lists of activities to engage which did not involve pouring, picking up a drink.

I have read that cravings are like waves-and they last around 15 minutes.
So.
I would go for a walk, read about cravings and sobriety.
I joined a 100 day challenge.
One moment…

…( continued ), yeah.
So basically…wrote down what I planned on doing aside from drinking…and some of what I tried has stuck…or else I would not be typing to y’all in this sober state.

Distractions and / or yes, replacing the drinking with more constructive options felt key and remain important.
Good tips here.

Jeevan, hope that you are ok and choosing to not pick up a drink.

You will find a lotta support here.
Rooting for you!