I don't know if anyone else has this problem. I

I don't know if anyone else has this problem. Would you guys like to give me your opinion. I drink when I'm bored, happy, sad, but not when I'm busy. I can go days without drinking when I have things I need to get done, but when I do drink, I always feel the need to get drunk. It's never just one or two drinks. My husband says I'm an alcoholic because I spend more days out of the year drunk than sober. I never really thought I had a huge problem but after he pointed that out.. well.. here I am.

Is this normal? Am I an alcoholic? I always thought an alcoholic was someone who NEEDED to drink, even if they wake up hungover they will still go for the bottle kind of person. Are there different levels to being an alcoholic? Because if I feel sick, I stop drinking. I don't need to drink every single day.. but.. if I start drinking I NEED to get drunk, unless I'm the DD. I do have the power to stop drinking if I know I'm the DD, that's why I'm conflicted on what's wrong with me.

Do you folks have any thoughts on this?

I should also add that I tried to give up alcohol for lent and I failed miserably, I made it two weeks before I gave in and started drinking, I realized I missed the feeling of being drunk.

1 Like

AA says if you can't control your drinking then you're an alcoholic. You can attend an online AA or in person and talk to whoever. They are very nice there, usually (some black sheep in groups but ignore them)

2 Likes

No need for labels, but needing to get drunk is a red flag. Alcoholism (and addiction for that matter) are progressive.

Nothing hurts with taking a break and really giving your relationship to alcohol a good look under a microscope. Until you know why you drink and why you overindulge it can be confusing to untangle.

Best of luck to you and your sober curious journey!

2 Likes

Look at this way if your drinking through out the week to the point of getting drunk. You have a problem. I understand it’s difficult to go to a meeting but you need to find one

1 Like

Thank you for these words, I appreciate it.

Hey Leen! This can be hard to untangle especially while “controlled” drinking is one’s approach. Continue to keep an open mind and stay connected with others who help build you up. Lots of folks on here who are going through the same challenges you are. :v::blush:

1 Like

I had a similar relationship with drinking. I didn't think drinking wine was a problem until one glass became 1 bottle and then 2 bottles. In my situation, my husband pointed out that I had an issue as well. I've been attending AA online via zoom. There's a 24/7 meeting that has helped me better understand my relationship to drinking. I haven't had a drink in almost a month which is a big deal for me.

1 Like

Zoom meeting ID if you'd like to check it out: 292 371 2604

1 Like

Thank you for this link. I appreciate it.

1 Like

I will be blunt. Nip it on the bud or you will follow in my footsteps. As Rachel said no need to put a label on it. You need to answer to yourself and nobody needs alcohol. Go to a meeting, post here. Reach out anytime

1 Like

Google Chapter 3 from Alcoholics Anonymous (I don’t know why I can’t post the link). Read it and you can decide for yourself if you are an alcoholic. It’s a super quick read (especially if you just want to read the first few pages).

1 Like

What is the link to online meetings pls?

1 Like

Online meetings?

1 Like

If you look up in the replies, Lyn F posted a link

If you can have a drink and leave at that you’re like ‘normal’. But if you drink to ‘take yourself somewhere’ then you have a problem with it.

It doesn’t matter what you call it, if you want to stop ( and stop the consequences) then there are communities and methods at your disposal, and this is one of them.

Go to aa intergroup online. They have tons of zoom meetings every hall hour. You can ‘shop’ for the groups and times that work for you. My home group was found there.

Ohhh ty so much!!