I grew up Mormon, and I feel like the religious

How is it stretching? Help is help. Addiction or not there is a human asking for guidance. Many in recovery look to their faith for help with staying sober. Many don’t. We shouldn’t poo poo someone and say this isn’t going to help without at least trying. By you showing your own mistrust and non belief in Christian religions and openly bashing it also says you don’t think those who truly believe in god and Christianity are on the same level, or worthy of the help this community could offer. I am not religious but if someone is and has had a good experience what good does it do to bash it?

I'm not bashing anything. Everything I have said was true. She isn't an addict of any kind. She needs help with basically PTSD. Are you a fücking doctor? No? Okay then you or I can't effectively help her.

In fact you are bashing religion. “Every Christian religion is rooted in those things obey your husband” “there is a TON of religious indoctrination here as well” both quotes from previous posts of yours. Just because you don’t believe and openly cast distain onto religion doesn’t mean others like your opinions of feel the same. As far as not helping her, how do you know? We have all had to deal with PTSD in some form. Maybe an insight to something we have gone through would help. Others who are here have gone through the same thing. Just because I wasn’t hooked on H doesn’t mean I don’t get something from addicts that were when I listen to a share in a meeting.

I think you should go to an AA meeting or two just to hear what they have to say see what you think. There’s also a book out there called sober curious I think the more you do the research the better shot you have of going in the right direction

I think that was meant for the OP… but I agree with you.

To use a sentiment from @mjg44017 everyone could benefit from a 12 step program.

Yes, it was. Thanks

I am reading sober curious now! I may go to a meeting with a friend to check it out and start making sober friends.

1 Like

If booze is really a problem for you it's pretty clear. Has it caused trouble in your relationships, work, finances or caused legal problems? Uou can certainly choose not to dor other reasons (health, cultural, faith reasons) but those are different kinds of choices. They are not life or death. For us true addicts, we are dealing with our lives.

Just followed the podcast on Spotify, gonna check it out on my 1.5 hr drive to work tomorrow :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

Oh wow thank you!

1 Like

My cohost has been sober for 18 months- proud of her!

1 Like

That's amazing! What is your favorite episode on the podcast? Oh and to be honest about any substance we take to alter our feelings or to "unwind" etc...alcoholism and drug addiction isn't about the drugs and alcohol. It's about what's inside that needs to change or grow. Adversity, no matter how big or small, was placed in our lives to shape is and for us to grow but when we use substances it hinders that growth and maturity. That's why a lot of people get sober and don't work on themselves and get called "dry drunks" because they still act intolerant and immature. The 12 steps can work for any issue someone has because they are meant to get us to realize life isn't all about us and we are not perfect and neither is anyone else. They are meant to humble us and help us grow into who we were meant to be, loving, selfless people.

1 Like