I have been having escalating intrusive thoughts. They are always

I have been having escalating intrusive thoughts. They are always around in my period after using but I haven't used for over a month. Over the last two weeks they are getting to the point that I feel almost constantly overwhelmed.

When I say intrusive, I mean more guilt and shame. It's mostly memories and the worst part I find is that they're memories of using and it wasn't even like I was doing something wrong, I was just under the influence and that's enough..

I have this technique called "shutting off the switch" I catch myself and will verbally say "no" and take my thoughts off of it. It's effective but I caught myself yesterday doing it to pretty much nothing.

I am alone here in my struggles, I try to talk but people under play it or laugh out of awkwardness and this is truly a problem I feel I can't handle anymore on my own.

I am way to happy to let this keep me down and distraction only gets me so far, especially when it feels like parts of my life that I take pride in are starting to slack. It's a slippery slope.

I have been doing alot of reading into some holistic thought control...
Something at age 55, I always considered "new age hoockie stuff"
I am taking advantage of my new beginning and realizing the fact that my thinking lead to a life that said drinking 7 days a week for 35 years was a brilliant idea.
I obviously don't think right.
So taking Honest Open-minded Willingnes to my advantage. Check out "You can heal your life" written by Louise Hay.
It still has its whacky parts, but it is all about changing the way you think through positive affirmations.
Even changing one word in a negative thought cam change the reality you create from that thought..
At this point, I have nothing to lose, so am trying new things. It has helped me, maybe it can help you also.

Judith, I definitely know how you feel.
I read tons of recovery literature, especially the Big Book.
Mantra meditation and breathing techniques really helped me!
Had to reprogram my neuro pathways, my brain, actions and feelings.
I’m here if you want to talk.

Hi Judith, I totally get it. I've been struggling with intrusive thoughts for a while, and they can be really scary. Remember to give yourself kindness. :heartbeat: