I often get asked what my biggest tip for the

I often get asked what my biggest tip for the newly sober/sober curious is and I cannot stress enough, it is the importance of not setting unrealistic expectations for what sobriety should look like.
When I first jumped on this ride, I wanted to write a blog, a book, get mega fit, join the 5am club, have ALL of the hobbies and do sober meet ups every week. I foolishly believed that sobriety would make me super human and I'd wanna do everything ever. Yes it's possible, yes some people achieve that (and they are amazing, no doubt) but this sh** is ultimately about becoming happy, being comfortable in your own skin and making life as a non drinker YOUR normal. That can come in so many different guises and it's imperative not to compare yourself with others.
Full disclosure, I have been through about 284 versions of myself since I quit drinking, to see what to see what fit. But what I thought I wanted it to look like versus what actually works best, is totally different. I've tried it all and I've actually gone full circle, to the same tv binging, excessive shopping, sarcastic hermit I've always been. Except now it's with better sleep, hair, skin, mental health and relationship, and a significantly lower risk of various cancers.
Would I love to be a yummy AF mummy with abs for days and a daily ice bath? Yes. Am I that way inclined? Absolutely not.
That is not sustainable for me right now. But that's FINE.
Focus on doing you, it's the only way

1 Like