I want to voice my plan to others so that

I want to voice my plan to others in hopes of actually saying it out loud will stick. I want to quit. I will be tapering the amount I drink and working towards full sobriety. Has anyone else done this and been successful? Positive feedback would really be welcome right now because I am scared of life without drinks but more afraid of life with them.

For me, I went into rehab and completely quit. I was there for 3 months. I go to regular meetings and work the steps to learn to deal with life. For me, I can't take one drink, because I know I cannot control my drinking. I have accepted step one. It is ultimately your choice. I recommend going to some meetings. You can find them in your area at aa. org.

I tapered my drinking dozens of times. But like Kim, I am powerless over alcohol and I needed to remove it absolutely. I did this 466 days ago.

I have been able to limit myself by not keeping more than 4 glasses of wine in the house. So, I do not become blackout by any means, but I absolutely do believe that 4 glasses of wine is too much and and at this point, it isn’t offering me anything positive. I have quit in the past (where I truly had no limits), only to find myself wanting to quit again (even with limiting myself). While I do think I have made progress, it’s not the progress that I want for this season of my life. I want better for myself and for those I love.

Is it wrong to think I’m not completely powerless from it since I have been able to control it better? (I want to add right here that just because I can control it better I am not saying I am not an alcoholic. I am).

While I appreciate your feedback, am specifically asking if there are others like me who have been able to cut back and continue to cut back until just wanting to be free from it altogether and have been able to do so without the help of meetings and who did taper off?

If I find that I can’t taper, I will pursue other help. But right now, if anyone has been in a similar place to me, those are the individuals I’d like to hear from please.

Same here. Tried to taper for 5-7 years and then I went to rehab. I couldn’t do it. The worst was the hands shaking every morning when I woke up. Today is my 100th day soberversary!

1 Like