Lest we become complacent

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alcohol is a subtle foe.
— ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 85

When I am in pain it is easy to stay close to the friends I have found in the program. Relief from that pain is provided in the solutions contained in A.A.’s Twelve Steps. But when I am feeling good and things are going well, I can become complacent. To put it simply, I become lazy and turn into the problem instead of the solution. I need to get into action, to take stock: where am I and where am I going? A daily inventory will tell me what I must change to regain spiritual balance. Admitting what I find within myself, to God and to another human being, keeps me honest and humble.

2 Likes

Wow, this hits so close to home. 7 + years I'm plugging along. Just day in day out. No problem, but is there a problem? Not yet. Why? Because I'm not doing the work. It's a matter of time. I need to work a program, I need to make it part of my day in and out, I need to get honest with myself and my recovery. Thank you Michael :pray::sparkles: