Little disappointed

I went out for dinner and had one glass of wine. Do I feel bad that I had one glass not really, but I feel good that I had one A glass with dinner. I had water the whole time, tomorrow is a new day.

13 Likes

You are doing amazing! You did something an now you know the feeling an taste ! Didn't continue is the good thing to see :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m so proud of myself I would normally get the larger glass size. I had one 6oz and that was it.

4 Likes

How was the rest of your dining experience? I've come to understand that one small drink, regardless of social programming, does me no good which is a big part of why I don't drink alcohol. However, one does much less harm than 20, or 100.

3 Likes

For me one is too much and two is never enough

5 Likes

Controlled drinking will only last a while for an alcoholic,,, that is our experience. Sooner or later, the alcoholic passes a point where control is completely out of the question. This disease is progressive, uncurable, and fatal and unless some type of supernatural spiritual awakening happens, the alcoholic dies a long, slow, miserable death. But my hats off to you for being able to have just one. Basically, you may not be an alcoholic. Kudos

11 Likes

Good for you!! You stopped after 1. I can’t do that. I drank for effect not taste. Wishing you happiness!!

4 Likes

Normally I don’t and my drinks turn into 2-6 and with shots

2 Likes

Go girl!! :raised_hands:t3:

2 Likes

Yup! Always liquor a shots for me . Now on 9 days :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Scott, I’m with you. I tried all that a zillion times and finally surrendered to the winning side. My hats off to people that can drink like gentlemen, but that ain’t me🤣

4 Likes

Hi Katie you said you had one glass of wine at dinner and you really don't feel bad about it that's quite okay that's just where you're at right now. There are 5 Stages of Change in Addiction Recovery

1. Precontemplation
  2. Contemplation
  3. Preparation
  4. Action
  5. Maintenance

Somewhere you're in one of those Stages and they're easy to look up to see what stage of Change you're in for how you feel about you and your recovery. But remember our addiction is a insidious cunning disease where you'll start out with one glass tonight and several glasses tomorrow so be careful good luck.

3 Likes

Thinking of you!

1 Like

Progress. I cut way back b4 I quit. Nice work!

1 Like

Great progress. I personally dont ascribe to the one size fits all approach to addiction. It does work in medicine, science or me talking health so why do we get so programmed as to think that a single "program" or approach would be any different in the recovery space?

1 Like

Been there but sadly that one today will not last long best to abstain 100%

As a member of A.A., the Big Book tells us that if we can control and enjoy our drinking that there is no problem. In fact, it suggests we try some controlled drinking to see how it goes.

Maybe you don’t have a problem. I know I never had just one and enjoyed it.

1 Like

Nice Katie. I can relate as I am back and forth about sobriety or modifying my lifestyle. Yet I see the advice which is meaningful, important and appreciated. Hence the rub, which is it and why. Just a thought and keep up the work!! It’s progress.

Will said josh! I wonder if the assumption here is everyone is an addict. Can we or some people simply try a different way or lifestyle ?? Hmm?

Thanks Brian. I think it is safe to assume everyone IS an addict here, or at the very least, has an addictive personality and/or displays addictive behavior. That said, speaking from my own experience, although I abused alcohol in my past, it was generally in an attempt to treat my pain. Once I was able to cross several landmarks (took me 5 years) I realized I could in fact drink alcohol in moderation ever so occasionally. By moderation I mean the moment I realize I have a buzz I stop. typically I don't get to that point. 1-2 drinks every few weeks.

For me those landmarks were as follows.

1. Realize that although alcohol temporarily numbed my pain, it increased my pain in the long run due to the mid-to-long term effects on the body.
  2. Understand moderation and apply moderation in most/all aspects of my life effectively
  3. Understand which situations if any I am able to drink in moderation and those which I struggle with.

Now for me this has worked although alcohol is not my primary DOC. The substance was not the issue but rather my thinking. I do realize this is not the case with most people here and I was never an alcoholic so to speak. An addict yes but an alcoholic no.