Loneliness in sobriety

I feel like I’ve lost everyone around me. Those who are there treat me so different and it just doesn’t feel the same. I am the odd one out now

18 Likes

I know the feeling and it's a day by day battle. But it’s worth it and time makes it better. I found I had to take myself out of situations until I had the strength and perspective to not feel like the odd one out. And I learned that those around me weren’t trying to make me feel excluded. They just didn’t know how to support me without saying or doing the wrong thing. Just being there is more than enough

3 Likes

I totally agree with this. I have over 3 years and I am still very over protective of my sobriety. I haven’t been to any family functions this entire time because of the amount of alcohol at the functions. I know this is the right thing to do. I watched two loved ones die from this but, this is the hardest thing to do (other than cancer) especially since they glamorize drinking so much. I have to be honest, I miss the fun times but it got to the point it wasn’t fun anymore because I was so sick and hiding my drinking everyday which was exhausting. I got down to a very low weight and I was lucky not to develop liver disease. My entire relapse in 2020 and my recovery has been all during the pandemic so it was very easy because we couldn’t go anywhere. I also have health issues but life can get very mundane and for that reason I need to constantly reach out. Recovery is all about getting a recovery group of friends, aa meetings help also. Living is better than dying. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

3 Likes

It took my family a minute to realize that I was dead serious about my sobriety. With a family history of Substance Use, I just take one day at a time. You will find your tribe. 🫶🏾

2 Likes

Time for some new friends! I like friends I meet at the gym, AA meetings, church, and other random places. Of course I am an extravert though..

2 Likes

I feel the same way I’m struggling as well love message me if you need a friend

1 Like

I would really love a friend, especially one that knows what I’m going through

1 Like

Yesterday alllll day I felt alone. Today's different, better. The sun came out

1 Like

Nothing is easy if it was every body will be doing it. It takes time and consistency and discipline and wanting to get rid of that, that is making you sick because if you think you don’t have a problem then there is the problem

I promise you that it does get better! You are not alone. I had to accept that certain people, places, and things were not going to be the same experience for me. So I went to LOTS of meetings and surrounded myself with women in recovery. I did things that I hadn’t associated with drinking, which meant I picked up a hobby for the first time in my life, other than drinking. Today, at nearly 13 years of sobriety, I do have a life beyond my wildest dreams and I am not a slave to alcohol and drugs.
Keep coming back! It works!!!

2 Likes

Great comments. Protect your sobriety first. Everything will fall into place. Take the advice here. You will be ok.

The fellowship in AA helped me more than the Big Book did.

1 Like

I'm struggling with this as well. You are not alone. It's going to take time. Stay strong. Thank you for sharing, these comments helped me as well.

Same here

Just put a fake face on what happened.

Just give them what they want and keep moving

Often times standing up and standing out is better than fitting and sitting in.

Make a meeting get a phone list. Call some people make new friends arrive early stay late and introduce yourself to people fellowship 

That’s why I felt in the beginning what I would do with I would try to go to some meetings make a meeting list. Try to meet some people introduce yourself to a fellowship. Find your tribe and find your squad. I’m always here if you need to talk we have all been there.

Not with us you aren't! I try to make friends at places I frequent. Then there's at least one thing in common.