Occasionally do dry spell mostly for health and fitness, and

Occasionally do dry spell mostly for health and fitness, and i really miss the social scene of bars and clubs. Hoping to find some way to enjoy nightlife without downing cocktails.

Hi Joe! I have three years of sobriety, and I still go out on occasion, maybe once a month, minus pandemic. For me I just kind of got over being around all the drunk people. But if I have a good group of friends (they all drink, I am always DD), and we have a good time. I do have to say that in early sobriety it is much harder to be in that type of atmosphere though. The temptation is real and it’s just so easy to say yes. I was a bartender for the first 11 months of my sobriety and that was hard enough, I had to interest in actually having to be around drunk people for fun. Test it out. What was uncomfortable for me may not be uncomfortable for you. But the one thing I will tell you is to put your sobriety first. If something feels off or you feel tempted, go home immediately, there’s no sense in risking your sobriety.

Now that I’m re-reading your post I’m wondering if you are more interested in just cutting back than absolute sobriety. If that’s the case, many bars, or at least the bars I go to in the city, have excellent mocktails and many carry non-alcoholic beers which may be an option for you. Near the end of my drinking, before I actually committed to sobriety, I slowed down my drinking significantly and was doing the NA thing in the bars. Good luck!

Yes I'm not sure if I want to be a teetotaler. But I don't like that alcohol or other substance is the primary activity. Unlike your current situation, i actually do really like being around a bunch of drunk people. And it's awkward, for me, to be out and not participate in the ritual. Especially because i really enjoy going out alone to meet new people. The best connections I've made hanger been made out on the town.

Thanks for sharing your experience though. I think i can see myself going down that path too.

1 Like