Right now I can’t imagine [CW: opioid use]

Right now I can’t imagine a life without using kratom (a plant-based opioid) in some capacity every day. I’m pro-medical kratom use, but I know the way I’m using isn’t medical or healthy. Does anyone have experience titrating off pain medication while continuing to suffer from the pain condition itself? I’m looking for ways to handle physical symptoms, figure out how to care for myself during w/d, and fight cravings while I take my dose down to something medically appropriate. Only then can I really evaluate whether I actually need the drug for my pain, or whether I could replace it with healthy lifestyle changes.

1 Like

Sorry but no easy paths to getting clean. Eventually you’re gonna have to bite the sober bullet and let everything go. Not an easy thing to accomplish yet it’s doable. I suggest you get plugged into a program of some kind that is recovery oriented. Even a rehab if necessary. A new happier life awaits if you put the effort in. Good luck

2 Likes

Hi Mallarie, what ultimately helped me with my chronic pain was a meditation program. I did it myself, the book is called Full Catastrophe Living. It is an 8 week program and you have to be dedicated, but it changed my life and experience with chronic pain I have been living with for over 10 years. I don’t take pain meds for chronic pain anymore, just for acute pain.

1 Like

I’ve been dealing with chronic pain for years. Biggest thing was losing weight, staying active (I walk a lot) and yoga. But when it comes to getting off, there is no easy way. For me (not Kratom) it meant a few weeks of extreme discomfort. It was hellish, but after coming out the other side, we’ll worth it. Good luck.

1 Like

My boyfriend was on methodone for 8 years…. When we got together he told them to taper him off…. They warned him about how horrible it would be, how the only way he will survive is w Kratom…. He used Kratom for 2 days and forgot it at home the 3rd when he left for work…. He worked 12 hours, had the shakes a little…. And the next day he flushed it. He said he would tough it out…. When he came home he said no sickness, no shakes, just he couldn’t sleep that night…. I know everyone is different but that’s just his experience….

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the advice, especially from people with chronic illness backgrounds. It sounds like I’m on the right path with lifestyle, but haven’t yet committed to fully replacing my drug use with better habits. I’ve always avoided NA and other spiritual programs, but now that I have an active spiritual life I will try turning to those resources that I’ve been ignoring

Thank you for this recommendation! I’m ready for something that demands a lot of commitment but not a lot of money, so it sounds perfect

1 Like

When you are ready to surrender.. I’d suggest going to one with a Dr. or Phd. especially when it come to treating physical Illness. Let him know what you are using to treat your physical pain as well disclose your addiction.
Perhaps post in a bit how this is all working out for ya.
“How free do you wanna be”
:hugs: