So I have a question of I have been sober

So I have a question of I have been sober from meth for 19 months but I had started drinking for a while and quit.
Can I still celebrate my time I was sober from meth from my actual clean date or do I start all over again?

1 Like

@amanda450429 Technically you're splitting hairs. Take ownership of both. Yes it's great you were dry off of the first stuff. Own that time and learn from it. Now that you're dry from alcohol do the same, take ownership of your previous Phuq ups and learn from them.

I'll leave you with the same thing I tell those who I mentor that are similar as you. "You're a crackheaded alcoholic. No one can take that from you. I'm glad you're here and have your head halfway out of your a$$. Now do the right thing, give no excuses, and start working on a program of recovery. Dry people eventually wither away. Your recovery starts today at day 1".

I disagree. You were sober from meth for 19mos, own that, congrats! I’m assuming meth was an addictive behavior.
So you had a few drinks from time to time after being clean from meth 19 mos. Realize… this could be a problem. Quit, sounds like it was easy to quit. No you don’t start over 19 mos sober from meth. Is solid! You never said you were addicted to alcohol.
Don’t let anyone steal your progress!!! One day at a time! Stay positive!!:smiley::four_leaf_clover::pray:

Amanda that’s a choice u have to make I hear a lot of people tell clean time for each drug like I got 5 yrs from heroin but 6 months from meth (was a example) whatever u choose just know I’m praying and pulling for u Ty and God Bless

That is very personal choice. To Thine Own Self Be True. I saw someone at an AA meeting take a 3 year chip and say in his birthday speech that he only uses meth on weekends. Personally, my sobriety/clean date is when I stopped all mind altering substances.

1 Like

🤦.

This is a topic that comes up quite a bit. It could depend on a few things. It could depend on what program you are working through N.A., A.A., what you and your sponsor decide, or if you strictly go by the literature. Staying abstinent is not picking up, and an accomplishment on its own. Recovery is working and living the program. Read the literature, talk to your sponsor, and find your own truth. I sat in a meeting where someone claimed one year clean and collected a 1 year chip, then announced he stopped drinking 29 days ago. Personally, that means he had 29 days clean. He had a sponsor that saw no issue with that. To each their own on this journey. In the N.A. lit it says "No mind or mood altering substances". Each individual holds themselves accountable no one else.