Sobriety Question

Is it possible that some relationships, friends or significant others, do not allow for a sober lifestyle? Or is it all about individual decision to live a sober lifestyle regardless of those relationships?

Make sense?

I asked because I have a feeling the people around me while great and I appreciate them can be an obstacle to sobriety.

6 Likes

For me it was very difficult being sober with the girl I was dating. She kinda drive me crazy lol .
And I would relapse a lot when I was with her .

5 Likes

PEOPLE,places, and things. the three main trigger categories. definitely a major possibility. boundaries in relationships is one of a healthy life’s greatest challenges. sometimes we just need to better communicate and enforce them. sometimes, as hard as it is, we need to cut certain people out completely. keep searching and asking these types of questions. find peace in knowing that the answers you find are not always the ones we want to hear.

3 Likes

Agree, some of my friends are asking how long I’m doing this, making negative remarks. BUT, I also know my close circle that fully supports me and wants to help anyway they can. I don’t want them to change because I needed to but appreciate their willingness to. Definitely a line there for each.

2 Likes

I still hang with my drinking friends. I just choose not to drink. I never want to drink again. I enjoy sobriety. Not sure i would date a drinker either. But you never know. I know my truth. And my truth is I don't drink.

4 Likes

Thank you all for the likes and those of you who responded! I struggled this weekend thinking deeply and seriously about these questions as a link to sobriety success. Of course that concept looks differently for each of us. I likely need to adjust these relationships going forward.

Again thank you. I value the comments, appreciate the honesty too.

1 Like

Nice answer Dominic, I totally agree!

2 Likes

It’s more than possible, but if anyone who considers themselves a friend, partner or family member shouldn’t make sobriety any more difficult than it already is for you. But I also think it’s about a sober individual’s lifestyle decision, too. Me personally, I don’t mind others who drink as long as they encourage my recovery and respect my boundaries, but also don’t overdo it themselves. The guy I’m talking to now is a heavy smoker and drinker. It’s not for and he respects it, and also ensures that he doesn’t smell or taste of cigarettes/liquor whenever we’re in proximity. Definitely depends on the support system and those surrounding the person in question with said relationships.

2 Likes

I got rid of certain people in my life that expressed negatively toward my sobriety. Not worth the time. People, places, things. So much happier.

2 Likes

I have a friend that we could never be sober at the same time generally drug the other one back in. We had a lot of fun. When it was time for me to get serious about my sobriety, I had let him go. I love the dude and wish him the best but being sober is way better for me. When he gets out of jail, I’ll have seat waiting for him at the ‘cult’(that we he calls AA).

2 Likes

If you have the feeling and have to ask this question you should step back from thrm

3 Likes

There are instances/moments that our relationships, friendships, coworkers or even partners will hinder us in our journey for sobriety & overall our lively hood. Though it is an individual's choice to become sober it is also a choice to be friends,or in a relationship with people who do not adhere to the decisions you have made to better your own life or at the very least respect it and don't want to mess things up or makes a situation awkward because of wanting to be sober. There will be a time where, for lack of a better saying, "Either you get on the train I am on or you can wait there at the station , for another train to a different destination."

1 Like

Again I am thankful for all the insights and comments. Very helpful for my thinking.

I thought I was the only one! Lol...agree with what you said :100:

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

From my personal experience, I had to cut out the people I was friends with during that time of my life because they would not respect my choice to be sober.

1 Like

Honestly, when I was doing drugs I would just do it away from my partner and my partner knew I was doing them. Just didn't judge and hoped I would get sober.

I personally think it's very okay to date someone who does either drugs or drinks, so long as they don't do drugs around me and like smoke weed outside. But as soon as I notice they give symptoms of addiction, I give them an intervention talk and hope they will get sober too. If not, I check out of that hotel.

1 Like