Starting my sobriety tomorrow, so just wanted to get this out

So tomorrow I am starting my sober journey off getting clean from prescription meds and caffeine and so I just wanted to write this at the very least to just get some stuff out of my head and maybe get some advice.

So I know tomorrow is most likely going to suck and there will be many challenges to overcome to stay sober.

I've been so used to depending on mind altering substances to get me through my day and help me feel better that the thought of taking them away and forcing myself to make changes feels kinda terrifying to be honest even though I know it's what I need.

Without stimulants I feel like depression hits me really hard, I have really low self esteem, I go through a lot of social anxiety, it's hard for me to focus, and I get really tired alot.

I've had issues with pills and drugs for going on around 15-20 years now so I'm quite dependent on them.

I know that the beginning of this is going to be tough, but I just really hope that I'm still able to be active in the important parts of my life and not just feel bad all day.

Anyways, I guess I'll stop here. Hopefully someone can relate to this and offer any help for someone getting ready to start on Day 1 tomorrow. Thanks.

1 Like

Sobriety is a great way of life. Much better than the torture and pain of addiction.
I have two suggestions.

1. go to A.A. or NA meetings. 90 meetings in 90 days.
  2. keep an open mind as to what recovery looks like. Your best thinking got you hooked on drugs and alcohol for a decade or two. It might need to change. Mine did.
1 Like

Thanks Matt for the feedback.
Yeah I've been to many AA and NA meetings and to tell you the truth I've always felt a little out of place.
Ive been reading about other ways to deal with uncomfortable feelings / thoughts when they come up and I thought doing those exercises for 90 days would be a great goal to shoot for

I have no doubt it’s the truth. I felt out of place as well. Why wouldn’t you feel out of place? It’s a group of people willing to go to any length for their sobriety.
I respectfully point to my second suggestion.

I guess I was given the gift of desperation. It was so bad for me and my options were so limited that I finally decided to do whatever it took to stop the pain and anguish.
Just my experience. I make no judgments.

1 Like

Yeah I'm the same way you were coming out of desperation. Like it's very important that I make changes.

But yeah the exercises I'm talking about are more therapy based rather than 12 step work. I don't know, I'll think about the idea of trying it again.

2 Likes