Struggling today. My mind won’t stop dwelling on the past

Struggling today. My mind won’t stop dwelling on the past and I feel like a complete failure in life. How do you move on from what feels like a lifetime of defeat and failure?

1 Like

Personally, I had to feel the emotions. Give myself time and do exactly what you’re doing… reach out and stay connected. After about four years, I got a therapist and I start learning about trauma and honestly that was probably the best thing I could’ve ever did because I had no idea how much I was carrying around in my nervous system. You’re not a failure you’re human, rooting for you.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s good to hear feedback and know that others can relate. Today is just one of those days. I’m telling myself that not drinking about it is a victory itself.

Pete, I felt like that in my early sobriety. I did the 12 steps of AA to the best of my ability several times. Through this process I learned that my seemingly endless failures and losses were actually my greatest strengths!
Yeah I know it sounds crazy but it’s true. My experiences have given me the ability to help others realize that they’re not alone and that they too can be free from self pity and loathing. Ultimately by helping others we have meaningful purpose, relationships and self worth.
17 years of grateful sobriety because of service. I’m here if you want to talk or have any questions