Why would I drink

When I know that there will be a hangover as well as other health issues. Why would I drink when I know I am going to be stupid and probably blackout making really bad decisions? Why would I drink when I know I will be disappointing my family? It baffles me. I am glad I have decided to get and stay sober. I got another 24 thanks to my HP and AA.

2 Likes

The answer really is quite simple. Because we are alcoholics. Regardless of the horrible consequences, we are going to want to drink unless we take care of our illness thru a daily program of recovery.

1 Like

I agree. I love AA. I know I started this journey in June and had a relapse but I learned from that relapse, started over and digging in

You’re doing great!! This disease is a complete mind twist. Without recovery, our minds are in a state of dis-ease

1 Like

Sadly many of us will never see this side of drinking. I have a friend who is a massive blackout drinker. They talk about how great their life is, while never seeing the damage their drinking does.

1 Like

Because you're a dummy just like me?

1 Like

Just like it says in the Dr.'s Opinion of the Big Book, (paraphrasing) we drink because we like the effects produced by alcohol. Although we admit that it is injurious we still do it. That is the insanity of this disease. Without an entire psychic change, we are doomed.

1 Like