Does anyone else feel themselves get addicted to other things

Does anyone else feel themselves get addicted to other things when newly sober (food,exercise,codependency etc.) it’s hard to break free from this mindset and not constantly distract myself from my feelings. Any tips on how I can help this?

19 Likes

This helps a lot thank you, I guess in the end it is a bit of harm reduction, the lesser of two evils

2 Likes

Excercise certainly

2 Likes

We are addicts. We easily become addicted to things. We try to find things to do, that fill up the time that we were previously filled with drugs, or alcohol. I was gardening too much during my early sobriety, seriously.. I grew a 91 lb pumpkin that year. It was wanting to watch something grow and be amazed with, while I was repairing myself... It growing myself..no pun intended. I eventually came off the pink cloud and slowed down a bit.. I am comfortable with my sobriety, so I can stay home and just relax without thinking I will want to drink, or use.

4 Likes

Ava, for sure I can easily be addicted to just about anything. In early sobriety especially. I ran 10 miles daily, ate tons of sugar, women and so forth.
Just the awareness helped. The 12 steps multiple times really helps! My addiction is alive and kicking but not nearly as intense.

3 Likes

I go to 2 to 3 meetings a day instead of chasing the drug or alcohol high I’m chasing my sobriety instead I used to be a hopeless dope fiend now Im a dopeless hope fiend🤣

4 Likes

I’ve learned this to be cross addiction. Our brains work around a reward system type thing . It can be harmful if you don’t develope some discipline. I suggest having set routines and following them .

Most people are already addicted to sugar and don't know it. It's much easier for me to stay away from alcohol, now that I've stopped sugar and carbs.

It's a cross addiction. It's part of the process. Just be careful. Set boundaries with yourself since your aware.

1 Like

I wanna see a 91 lb :jack_o_lantern: idk how long ago that was but impressive because of the fluctuation of the climate, assuming it was outdoors.

For sure do here. Awareness is key. Tiring at times but I’m definitely a create of habit.

One thing at a time. One day at a time. Work on your sobriety first. Then when you are thinking clearly you can hopefully work a program that helps you. Don’t do too much too soon it can be overwhelming and seemingly hopeless a challenge. It gets better with time and work. Time takes time. We’re addictive people so we want more of everything…..emotional chaos, money, food, exercise…. That’s who we are. More more more. Get clean, get a sponsor, work a program and let the miracle happen.

Spending money :triumph:

1 Like

Yes, as long as they are healthy “addictions” mixed with other healthy “addictions” then you should be fine. What’s not good is replacing a bad addiction with another bad addiction. Touché, right? An example of a good “addiction” is fitness like working out. Another is eating clean, they both go together to help your life get better. An example of bad addiction, you already listed and they will set you back like the originally addiction you are working hard to stay away from. The key is balance and variety with the healthy “addictions” which will get you to your best life.

1 Like

Every time I stopped drinking I replaced the alcohol with food and an unhealthy amount. And with that new unhealthy habit, it only lead to drinking again. That cycle went on for a couple years. I finally got tired of it all and fully surrendered. Im part of the AA community and work the program. That's what helps me.. best of luck to you! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Work the steps

We come for the drinking and stay for our thinking. Alcohol was a tool to treat the side effects of being uneasy in our souls. Keep working the steps.

1 Like

Good morning Ava

Yes, it is easy for us to try to fill the void. In Early recovery we are mourning the loss of our drink or our drugs. So therefore, we are constantly trying to fill it with other things while filling the addicted personality. Of the traits we have learned for so many years out there. So please just keep coming back. He gets better one day at a time 

I absolutely understand what you are going through. I was a drug addict and when I got clean, I thought I could drink because I always hated it! Bad mistake. I believe it only took me a week to become an alcoholic. If I really want to be honest about it, and I do. Please do not try this!! I ended up drinking for 10 miserable years. I am so thankful to be alive and to be sober and clean. Only by the grace of God am I still alive. I'm sure each one of us can say that. He is the only reason I am clean and sober today, so I give Him all the glory. Everything good in my life has come from God. Be strong and find healthy outlets. I love exercise and I love walking and that has helped me immensely and maybe it will help you as well. Stay strong!

Amen! That's a fact! :pray::heart::grin:

2 Likes