How do you feel about perscribed medication?

If it’s for addiction, that is ok imo. But for all other medications, I avoid them. The side effects and damage to the body is not worth it. Antidepressants cause dryness of everything, constipation, etc.. this means it’s blocking your systems that detox toxins. But you gotta weigh the pros and cons with everything. If it’s very detrimental, then maybe it’s worth the damage

1 Like

Trust your doctor but be skeptical. Ask lots of questions. They are after all, agents of pharma. Don't switch out one addiction for another.

1 Like

Agree with Taylor. If you already have a propensity for addiction you may be trading one addiction for another. That said, I take medication that helps with depression. It helps me. It’s not for everyone but it’s worth asking questions. Good that you’re at least exploring potential solutions.

1 Like

I'm glad to hear those medications have worked for you over the years and you haven't had the urge to misuse. I know I could possibly perform better overall if I had an alprazolam prescription but ultimately the psychiatrist doesn't trust me with benzos.

In my opinion through over a decade trying to manage medication and sobriety I've come to a few conclusions. Antidepressants and mood stabilizers are mostly helpful if you have a mental condition that would benefit from it. I have taken and currently take these class of drugs and they are not in any way a threat to my sobriety. I do however have great warnings and cautions against benzos (Xanax, klonopin, Ativan, Librium) in regards to sobriety and overall mental health. I have gad and panic disorder so if anybody has a legitimate reason to be prescribed these it's me, however these are very dangerous and I no longer take these. There are 2 problems with these class of drugs. Firstly, the dependence they create is significant and almost instantaneous. After a month I was completely hooked on them and needed them like I need air. Everybody I know who takes and is prescribed them is completely and utterly addicted to them. For my anxiety the cure was way worse than the actual problem. I didn't really need them my mind told me I did. The spiritual journey of recovery cured my anxiety 90%. The second problem with these is that they get you high, plain and simple. Just like Adderall they alter your mind and produce euphoria. I had to learn the hard way and getting off them was terrible. Just do the work and you'll be amazed and what medication you don't need and which ones you do. Just my opinion, best of luck.

2 Likes

Way to be honest and put it bluntly. This is what we know is true deep down and it's important to be aware and recognize. I appreciate you sharing.

The same can be said for a pill you swallow to keep you a certain way each day.

Yeah, ultimately everyone is different in how they choose to handle their mental and physical state.

Good luck to you too

It's a great point you make Zach which isn't talked about enough, yet it applies to everything. It's the same way for me, no way a script lasts . It's easier for me to be complacent with things like alcohol or weed every now and then because it's around quite often. Am I completely sober? Nahhhh

If one is taking it as prescribed from an informed physician, then that should be OK. I've been taking antidepressants since 2013. I wouldn't think of missing a dose.

Zoloft works very well for me. Has been literally life changing.

That seems rather extreme...

1 Like

What would the point be to doubling up on anti depressants / running through it quicker than the 30 days? They won't get you anywhere you want to be. Like, antidepressants won't get you high, so why even try?

What's with the attitude Fred durst?

3 Likes

I was not referring to antidepressants or mood stabilizers, I was referring to painkillers and benzos.

1 Like

I firmly believe that my prescribed medication is between my doctor and myself. I chose to share this with my sponsor. There is plenty of literature on this subject.
If I do chose to share or ask advice on any other forum I except I’ll get a lot of opinions :wink:.

2 Likes

The problem with benzos is that even taking them regularly as prescribed at a small dosage creates an incredible tolerance. I have been prescribed them three different times in my life based on my diagnoses, and each time it was ME who decided to come off them. Not the doctor, but myself. That speaks volumes. When you get to the point you are taking them to not feel like absolute walking death, there’s a f@cking problem.

Benzos are fine taken short-term for specific life events. That’s my opinion and experience.

3 Likes

Bandaid, though I do feel they have been a necessity for me at times, I just wish that there was a much better construct between pharmacology and psychology. I started having unbearable anxiety attacks 17 years ago and I wish like heck that I had understood what I have been taught lately about anxiety and the influences on it. I was given a prescription for Xanax and it felt great, it did for me in the daytime what alcohol did for me at night, made my problems feel less important. I should have not been on it though for 16 years! The booze and the Xanax slowly damaged my memory and made me numb to issues that I should have felt with a long time ago. Kicked Xanax in a rehab 4 months ago and I feel great! I am now on ZOLOFT, Vistaril and Buspar. I hate being on them but am dealing with wreckage of the past and once that is done I fully plan on trying to eliminate them as well. I know now how to manage my anxieties through diet, exercise and meditation. I know it can be done but until the post acute withdrawals are over and I have my life in better order I don’t want to shock my system.

Ahhh, my fault! I misunderstood. I appreciate the clarification!