I can't stop thinking about using

I'm 19 months sober off meth shooting it I'm struggling with my thoughts on using again it's haunting me daily what stops me is falling back in the rabbit hole againi scared I Willsonfondont do it want to stop obsessing about it I need to learn how to shut my mind down

10 Likes

You aren’t beating tomorrow. You are beating it right now. Every minute you are staying sober, every hour. Get up and go to a meeting, do physical labor, workout, read the Bible, something. Figure out what replaces that want and you can do it.

6 Likes

How about replacing the thought to use with 'I'm so glad I'm not going to do that today'?

5 Likes

One of my yoga instructor’s years ago said to me. If taking it day by day is too much … take it hour by hour. If that’s too much. Minute by minute. Have you looked for NA meetings in your area ?

3 Likes

Yes i have

1 Like

Gratefulness, going to a NA or AA meeting and sharing about it, call a sponsor or a sober friend and tell on yourself, pray for strength against the temptation from the devil

4 Likes

Thank you I have did both and alot of praying

1 Like

Go to meetings, hit a gym, get busy straightening out your place, your car, your finances. Try and accomplish at least one thing to set yourself up to accomplish something else. Hang tough, try and talk to people.

3 Likes

Wishing you happiness. ODAAT

2 Likes

The BEST thing that works for me during times my brain tries to get the better of me is I reach out and get connected with another addict in recovery ASAP. I speak on it and ask my HP to remove it, then I IMMEDIATELY find someone I can help! It works EVERY SINGLE TIME! If u don't have a sponsor plz get one- it's vital! If u have never worked the 12 steps- plz don't deprive urself that opportunity! Get involved in a recovery community and get and stay connected with ppl in recovery. Having someone else to help and work with in recovery has saved me more times than I can count!
Today staying sober isn't enough for an addict like me- today I need the love and feeling I get from working with other addicts/alcoholics and I need constant goals to be working on in my life today that keep me busy on improving myself and living my purpose! All the effort I put into my addiction, I now direct that same energy and drive into finding out what I want to do w my life besides just stay sober. It's much deeper than that today. We have to have more than just staying sober today- we have to things to do and places to be and ppl to connect with- it's why we were created! Keep reaching out and find ur tribe and get out of that pretty Lil head! Big giant hugs!

4 Likes

Thank u so much i have 2 great sponsors that i talk to all the time

3 Likes

Thank yall for all yalls great advice

1 Like

GET into ACTION. IT'S NOT BRAKES THAT STOP A CAR. IT'S APPLIED BRAKES. . HAVE YOU EVER HEARD THE TERM THOUGHT REPLACEMENT. THERE IS SOMETHING YOU HAVE TO DO. YOU CAN DO THIS.

3 Likes

Tabitha, you are not alone. We all experience this crazy obsession from time to time.

• I always play the scenario to the bitter end, where I’m strung out, hungover and extremely miserable!
    Don’t stay in the initial high.
    The tools are here for me to use all the time, not only when I’m trippin.
  1. Telling on myself multiple times. Meetings.
  2. Service to other addicts. Daily.
  3. Step work, daily.
  4. Daily meditation & prayer.
    *You can get through this! And you will get stronger.
4 Likes

Amen

The exact advice I was going to give.

Thank you

I think what really woke me up was realizing all these drugs were not making me high. They were using my own dopamine supply to get high. Imagine a bowl of cereal and normally we use 2-3 tablespoons a day of cereal ( dopamine ). What meth and many other drugs to is uses that entire bowl leaving us with nothing left. We all know that feeling of sleeping for 2-3 weeks cause we don’t have the drive to do anything. That’s cause we depleted our dopamine. There are other ways to get high naturally. Yoga , hiking etc. is it as intense. No. But it’s something.

I also believe that those of us that have gone to this extreme are more addicted to numbing our pain than the high.

It makes us feel normal for a moment. That we can function.

If you can dive into your pain and ride it , tame it , accept it , move on , you will have an easier time staying sober. :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Coming from an isolater... don't do that... stay busy doing somethin that's gonna take your mind off it. Watch somethin that isn't going to trigger you, organize somethin that's been driving you crazy for awhile, pick up a new hobby... pretty much anything that will make you think bout anything else. You got this.

1 Like

Thank u I'm a isolated to i think that's part of my problem and I'm a overthinker. It's getting better I'm not craving it so much now I believe God has answered my prayers and I'm do greatful for that it's not easy fighting a monkey but I believe i bet it with God's grace and help :heart: and all yalls great advice thank yall so much

1 Like