Ok so how do you decide to quit? I

Ok so how do you decide to quit? I actually decide to quit at some point almost daily but always start feeling annoyed at myself for considering quitting and it’s just a cycle. Did anyone quit for like a month goal and then keep it going? It’s just all a mental game with me and silly.

21 Likes

How serious are you about sobriety….. I suggest you attend a meeting and keep going. That’s how I got the motivation to continue

2 Likes

I quit because one day I tried to quit and I had withdrawals so bad that I literally thought I was going to die!! Then I realized that I had a true problem. That was a year and a half ago.

If I skip a day I usually have a hard time getting to sleep but that is about it as far as withdrawing symptoms but I don’t hope to get to the point they are worse. I am at the point where I just don’t achieve all I know I can daily and I am not happy with my life and I don’t see myself ever being my best self constantly feeling blah from drinking. I just talk myself into drinking every time. It makes me feel weak.

For the heck of it try to go 2 weeks without drinking. See how you feel. My bet it that you’ll feel amazing without that poison in your veins.

1 Like

Struggling with sleep was my big obstacle quitting as well. I did a medical detox , which is 4 days of librium , vitamins ,and IVs to counter withdrawals and be able to sleep. I wouldn't do it any other way but it sounds like your withdrawals aren't that severe. After detox I still struggled with sleeping. They put me on Seraquel 50 mg and hydroxyzine 25 mg initially. Melatonin and CBD work some if you want to stay natural. Also chamomile and valerian root, but I needed the big guns. If need be, any practitioner worth a dam would write a Rx for Seraquel/hydroxyzine....they are not scheduled and not habit forming .
Good luck and sweet dreams.

1 Like

By taking action to facilitate that, going through treatment, attending meetings, and every decision I make aligns with the choice I made to be the person I am capable of being instead of identifying as the victim.

5 Likes

Love this reply.

When the pain was so great that it outweighed any pleasure a drink/drug could give me.

2 Likes

I quit because I was afraid I would kill someone drunk driving. Also I had a spiritual awakening, long story

1 Like

I was sober curious for awhile cuz I kept feeling awful and felt like I was embarrassing myself, ending up with raging anxiety after drinking even if I didn’t do anything bad. Tried to quit but realized deep down I didn’t actually want to stop. It was when I finally really wanted it that I stuck to it, and I will say that I 10/10 recommend. I was clinging to what I thought alcohol gave to me, but now I realize that was just me resisting. Alcohol was just taking from me. It’s certainly difficult at first but the rewards do come! The world is just so much more colorful now and my mental health is on track. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I was so sad I was numb. And my solutions were my biggest problems.

I had to lose it all in order to stop. My next choice was the grave.

I wanted to live life not just survive it

1 Like

Kimberly,

So when I decided to quit it wasn’t for me (at first). Because of this disease because of me not being able to control my addiction, I watched my wife walk away into another man’s arms. So I thought if I just quit drinking that I would get her back, get my old life back….. that didn’t happen (I realized that she wasn’t coming back about 90 days in). With that being said I noticed a difference in how I felt physically, mentally I am still working that out but I can tell you that I’m not going back I worked the steps and I’m working still working the steps and I’m seeing a huge difference in every other aspect of my life besides me and my ex wife’s relationship. I can tell you if I didn’t stop drinking (even though there’s not an hour that goes by that I don’t think about it) I would either be dead or in jail and wouldn’t have the relationships with my 3 children. So what I’m saying is that it wasn’t my choice at first but it is my choice now and I will continue to do the work for the rest of my life. I’m at day 158 of sobriety and I am proud of myself.

2 Likes

I’m at 60 days today and I decided to quit because I couldn’t take it anymore. My life had become unbearable and it was a never ending cycle that I couldn’t control… I was crying in my car and decided to get help.

1 Like

For myself:
Medical detox with Valium and Suboxone
110 days in AA Treatment Center
Two months of IOP and sober living
Following a program
Was it expensive? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes. My other option was jail or death.:+1::+1:

If you have blood work done and your liver enzymes are way high. You might decide to quit drinking. Or die

I quit when I was so sick and tired of being sick and tired.
When getting high was no longer fun. But miserable. When the bad out weighted the good times 100. When you ruin your life to get that fix.
If you’re not ready you’re not ready .

Just for today is all that matters.

It's very much a mental game but you have to do your best to not separate what mental is and that it goes hand in hand with reality. What we think and what we believe ultimately becomes our reality.

You need to be 100% ready to quit for no other reason but yourself. I have learned in recovery that you need to feel you deserve it, and you need to be willing to be a little selfish, because getting sober is in itself a selfish act. And you can’t feel bad about it either. It’s to SAVE YOUR LIFE. HMU if you have any questions.

1 Like

Usually when you have had enough and if that doesn't work then there's is more

1 Like