Preparing to detox-tips?

I have been prescribed a home detox from alcohol. They’ve prescribed meds to ease the withdrawal. I know my physical addiction is only a piece of the puzzle. What tips do you have to fight the mental and emotional habit? What can I do to prepare myself for this struggle?

3 Likes

The thing that helped me the most, besides the obvious counseling and meetings, is exercise. Getting up and moving is HUGE. Do things you enjoy that will elevate your heart rate to over 120 beats per minute. It will make a world of difference, and it will improve your health.

7 Likes

I second what Brad said. In early sobriety I went on long hikes and when I was in treatment we went to the gym 6 days a week for an hour. That was awesome.
Journaling everyday helped as well. Reading the Big book of AA help too. Eating healthier. I had to have some sweets around to help with sugar cravings. Lots of water and tea. I stopped caffeine and tobacco as well. I’ve since picked up caffeine again via clean energy drinks.
Are you going to AA? Or NA? Or another program?

3 Likes

Get off all social media at least for the initial detox.

2 Likes

I strongly suggest that while you're going through it that you check in with a close friend (preferably one in recovery). Also, put on AA or NA meetings via Zoom. You can listen to them like the radio. OR, you can turn on your camera and tell the people in the meetings what you're going through! You will receive A LOT of healing LOVE!

3 Likes

Hi Jen, I am going through the same situation, I am terrified of the withdrawal symptoms, I live alone and my only relief is speaking with my family. I hate being alone. I screwed up, lost my job, can’t seem to find a new one. If you want to talk, this is my number 917-796-2751

2 Likes

Hey Tim, keep in mind that this is a public platform and everyone on this app now has your phone number.

1 Like

Don't do it by yourself, get into a residential treatment center or at least get a friend to stay with you around the clock. Your body could go into shock and start shutting down, kidneys, liver,heart, and hulicanation

1 Like

Exercise is definitely something that has helped me. But, definitely wait to exercise until after your medical detox. Too much activity during the withdrawal can potentially lead to a medical emergency.

If you have a family member or even a close friend that could be with you through the withdrawal that would be my suggestion. Accountability is really crucial for me in early sobriety

1 Like

Sunlight, exercise and rest.

1 Like

Just forget that alcohol ever existed

1 Like

I went on Antabuse for 6 months. I needed it to keep me sober. Now I have no cravings or desire. I am almost at 11 months. I know things could change - but Antabuse was crucial to my early sobriety.

1 Like

Jesus!

You won't be able to focus on much so just try to be outside and walk. This will pass. Just give it 72hrs

1 Like

If your detox if part of a withdrawal, you should probably seek medical attention. Your local emergency department could be necessary for your safety.

Is it alcohol?I almost died trying to detox by myself without any medical supervision. I would go to a center. I’m not a doctor but depending on how much you are drinking can mean life or death. IF it is alcohol you’re talking about

I’m guessing you’ve been evaluated safe for home detox and given Ativan or Librium. You feel pretty unsteady on your feet if that is the case. Hopefully you have a responsible adult with you for the next couple of days. Taking the supplements NAC and L-Glutamine will really help you trust me … been there done that and I now work for a treatment center… good luck I’m proud of you for starting this journey and feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I believe in you

I agree with Todd go to a treatment center or get someone to stay with you. Alcohol detox can be deadly.

Good luck with this. I remember going through this phase as I'm sure most of us have. I did mine at home with the help of Ativan, but please pay close attention to your body. If you detect any signs of medical distress, don't delay in calling someone for some help. Get past this next few days and please let that experience be enough to remind you that you don't ever have to go back and do it again. There's a much better life out there waiting for you.

I found exercise and games like word searches to keep my mind busy. I also liked epsom salt baths to help me relax clutch while detoxing.

1 Like