Relapsed. Feeling like I failed myself and everyone that really

Relapsed. Feeling like I failed myself and everyone that really cares. I don’t know why I can’t seem to get sober to stick for me. What’s wrong with me. I have CPTSD and DID. Constant splits that I can’t control. Please tell me someone can relate.

28 Likes

Forgive yourself sister. We relapse for numerous reasons. A great way to prevent a relapse is to walk your way into a recovery group. Get in the middle of the group and ask for help. It’s hard to stay sober just on the fringe. Get into action of helping yourself and others

4 Likes

It happens begin again no condemnation we fall down but we get up

2 Likes

Today is a new day! Think the drink! Don’t look back! Wishing you happiness always!!!!

2 Likes

I can absolutely relate. It's insanity, it's alcoholism. You're not alone. Have you read the story of the Jaywalker from AA?

4 Likes

Remember to count your victories. Every day you were sober was appreciated by your body. Sobriety is a journey. Everyone gets there at their own pace. My heart goes out to you.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with you. Thinking of you, you deserve to feel supported in well-being as much as anyone else. Sending you :heartbeat:

1 Like

I can relate, I have BPD and PTSD. I recently relapsed because these disorders make it near impossible to control impulses. I felt very alone until I started reading (audio book) “We are the Luckiest” and she describes in the book the type of impulse that I tend to feel, and it gave me hope knowing others go through it too. You’re not alone. If you want to talk I’m here. I’m currently trying to build a sober community so I have people to reach out to when I experience an impulse again.

5 Likes

Audio books are great. If you get a library card you can download an app called Libby and listen to audio books, read books, magazines, etc at no charge. I dumped Audible a few months ago and never looked back. I see that We are the Luckiest is available and The Naked Mind is another good audiobook.

1 Like

Christina….the fact you opened up about this and looking for guidance is a big step in itself. One day at a time, continue to search for ppl to listen, remain open to help and everyday is a new one! You got this!!

2 Likes

It happens to the best of us. Be proud that you got back up and are here! Take it one day at a time, you will get it!

3 Likes

Everything they said! Recognize what triggered you this last time. Sounds like you've beaten yourself up enough so stop and practice some self care :hugs:

2 Likes

Keep on coming, this is a day at a time program,I like the Jay walker story it is so true brings out the allergy of alcoholism. You’re going to keep doing the same thing over and over again then we find out that’s a sign of insanity. Have a good day take care.

2 Likes

If you don't drink today, or right now, then you won't that. Try to learn what made you think it would be a good idea to slip, and destroy that myth so you can skip the pain and disappointment moving forward. That stuff is addictive, once we are free we can really deal with life so much better.

2 Likes

The most important thing about changing your life is awareness. You have that. This is progress. Take care. :green_heart:

2 Likes

I absolutely believe it is a part of the process. It was my experience as well :peace_symbol::pray:

1 Like

You are not a failure to yourself or anyone else for that matter. There is nothing wrong with you, you are healing. Being sober is a very intense spiritual, healing journey. Be patient with yourself. This is a time where we are still even learning to love ourselves. I relapsed at 11 months my first time trying & it was so upsetting because I wanted that first year already. I felt like a failure and weak for thinking I could indulge in just 1 drink to celebrate. We keep trying though because we want a better life for ourselves. Relapse is part of the process for some and should be looked at like a new lesson to be learned from. There are many times when we go through the same cycle over again because we haven’t learned from it. Recognize the pattern & adjust how you do things the next time. Perhaps you just need to adjust your recovery journey to help you stay on track.

Some examples:
• reach out more especially when you notice the feeling of wanting to use
• go to more meetings in person/online, if you like discord they have servers you could be part of too
• enjoy a hobby for at least 30 minutes to help occupy your mind, it takes about that amount of time for a craving to subside

3 Likes

I just want to say thank you to every single one of you. I read every comment. I’m not giving up on beating this.

2 Likes

My motto - Never Quit Quitting!

2 Likes

I can relate. How are you feeling today?

3 Likes