Sobriety

Sobriety for me is embarrassing and I don’t know how to open up to people about it especially my close friends. I get sober but then I feel lonely and relapse. It’s like a continuous cycle.

12 Likes

Geoff love, sometimes, for me, I've got to take stock of what's more important. Is the pain of using LESS than the pain of being honest and open? For me, the answer is a resounding NO.

I really don't have using/drinking friends anymore. (Besides my sons, but that's another animal.)
My friends are in the fellowship with me. I can make instant freaking friends anywhere I go, as long as I'm in the rooms.

Honest to gods, the best times in my life have been having fun with my clean friends. I'm so grateful :pray:

2 Likes

I suggest making meetings, either AA or church recovery groupS. Get plugged in with other sober people locally.

Remember, alcohol is a hindrance to living your best life.

Ask
Believe
Receive

2 Likes

You don't need to open up to anyone about sobriety until you feel safe. However, AA meetings are where to go to talk about it. There is NOTHING you can say that is gonna shock anyone at an AA meeting or cause judgement.

Set yourself up for success. Get to as many meetings as you can, and get that stuff off your chest. Seek out discussion meetings.

Hang in there.

6 Likes

Ya I felt that and did that many times! I finally embraced that I’m an addict, became proud of that fact, got into my program. Made new sober friends that understand me. Starting having fun and let all that ego sheeeit go. I realized it is all a blessing.
I sponsor if interested.

2 Likes

Hey! I was totally in your shoes almost 5 months ago now! Your friends no matter their choices will support you. When I chose to give up alcohol which I didn’t at first think was a forever goal. I shut them out! I isolated myself! But I’m a people person and my friends and family are my world! So I opened up and explained my situation and that I was not going to indulge! They were all so supportive and we have the same laughs get together etc they just don’t carry on till the wee hours in the am! You’ll be shocked by how adaptive we can be! If they aren’t supportive they aren’t meant to be :slight_smile: best of luck my friend! Reach out if you ever need to chat!

2 Likes

I’m proud of being a recovering alcoholic. I tell everyone and almost always get huge praise.

2 Likes

Geoff hello how are you doing brother?

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that you’re struggling

1 Like

Lost

2 Likes

The beautiful thing about being lost is there somebody always there that has been lost before that can help you find your way back

2 Likes

I’m here for you

2 Likes

Feel free to message me if you need a friend or some words of encouragement!! You can do this!! It gets easier with time!

2 Likes

I’m happy to hear that! I’m so new to this but trust me I do have close connections with a few of my friends that don’t participate in drinking and I love it. It’s crazy I don’t talk to them alot but they always are there when I need help. I feel like I’m learning how to walk again if that makes sense?

3 Likes

I definitely need to. I really appreciate that advice.

2 Likes

Thank you means a lot. Honestly the one day at a time thing is the worst/ dealing with raw emotion but I’m trying to figure it out.

1 Like

Will do! Thank you for reaching out

2 Likes

We are miracles., we should be proud of ourselves, it’s not easy,, we do it One Day At A Time With Support… nothing to be ashamed of……

2 Likes

I can relate to the loneliness thank you for sharing. Keep talking about it and keep staying connected. You using this app is a great way to combat those feelings and to know you are not alone

3 Likes

I'm still lost, but I'm out of the dark

1 Like